If you own a car, this is one of those things we cannot recommend highly enough.
There are plenty of reasons why you need to have a vehicle maintenance checklist; here are just a few:
- Stay on track with your vehicle maintenance so you don’t forget anything.
- Get the longest life from your vehicle.
- Increase the resale value because you have incredibly well documented maintenance records. Buyers will trust that your car is in tip top shape, so you can command top money.
- Helps prevent expensive repairs because it’s being maintained instead of neglected.
- Improves your vehicle’s safety. If your car breaks down on the road, you can be put into unsafe conditions. If your tyres are bald, you can get a blow-out or lose grip of the road and crash, etc….
THREE RECOMMENDED VEHICLE CHECKLISTS
1. Check the oil and look for leaks.
2. Check your hoses and belts. Look for worn or frayed belts and cracked, brittle or bulging hoses.
3. Check to make sure your tyre pressure is in the optimal range according to the manufacturer’s suggestions.
4. Make sure your coolant/antifreeze are at optimal levels. This can cause big problems for many people. Don’t be one of them.
Quarterly or Every 3,000 Miles
1. Change and replace oil filter.
2. Check your battery cables for corrosion and clean them if they need it.
3. Check windshield washer fluid and wiper blades. Replace and refill if needed.
4. Check your other fluids, such as power steering, brake and transmission fluid. Add if needed, monitor for low levels which could be signs of leaks.
5. Check your air filter and replace if needed.
6. Make sure your temperature gauge is in normal range while driving. If not, take action immediately.
Semi Annually or Every 7,000 Miles
1. Check your headlights, brake lights, turn signals and your horn to ensure they are all functioning properly.
2. Check shock absorbers for both wear and oozing or seepage. If you see anything, take action.
3. Check the brakes for wear, deep grooves, or a lip cutting into the disk’s outer edge.
How to Keep Track Of It All
The key is to have a way to remember to check all these things. We have therefore made a checklist for you in PDF format. Simply print this as many times as you want so you can keep on top of your vehicle maintenance.
Stay vigilant with regular maintenance and your vehicle will serve you well.